The icon shows the divine child on the lap of the Mother of God. On the right side of the center is Joseph the betrothed, and on the left – John the Baptist at a young age. Both look lovingly at the Divine Baby. The icon of the “three joys” is celebrated on December 26.
The icon has its origin in the painting “Madonna della Sedia” by Raphael from 1513/14. The painting is now in the Palazzo Pitti in Florence.
A Russian priest brought a copy of the icon to Russia at the beginning of the 18th century and gave it to his church. Saint Joseph was added to the icon. This copy was in Moscow in the Trinity Church “Tscho na grjasjach” in the mud. A woman prayed in front of this icon for the solution of her three great problems. Her prayer was heard, and the problems resolved. The icon has had its name ever since.
The church was demolished in 1926 and the icon was lost. When the church was rebuilt, the icon was finally found again and is very revered in Moscow today.
Elaborately designed metal Oklad/Riza. Oklad has been cleaned.