The miraculous Russian icon, whose feast is celebrated on August 13, was located in Nizhny Novgorod and, after a first miracle, was transferred to the village of Paliza, located in the same episcopate. At the behest of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, it was brought to Moscow in 1641 and placed in the Passion Virgin Monastery built in her honor. The monastery was demolished after 1928.
As “Mater de Perpetuo Succursu” — the original is located in the “Church of the Redeemer and Saint Alfonso of Liguori” in Rome, this type was widely used in the Roman Catholic Church in post-Byzantine times through icons of the so-called “Italo-Cretan” school. A picture of this modern type of Andreas Rico (Ritzos) from Herakleion on Crete, who was active in Italy around the middle and in the second half of the 16th century and to whom the creation of this depiction is still occasionally attributed, has become famous. The icon, which is very popular in Greece, often bears inscriptions of explanatory character: “Before he (Archangel Gabriel) offered the greeting to the very pure, he shows the instruments of suffering, but Christ, who became mortal flesh, sees her fearfully in fear of death”.
It depicts the Mother of God of the Hodegetria type with the Christ Child on her left arm looking up at Gabriel.
The refuge-seeking child can be found for the first time in the Athos monastery Hilandar as a fresco copy of the 14th century, then in the Macedonian monastery Konce, inscribed as “anxious Mother of God of Hilandar” – proof that iconography was known long before Andrew Rico.